Currently listening to:

Today's tune recommendation: Electric Wire Hustle

July 6, 2011

Checking off the list

Well this past weekend, I was able to cross one of the top bands to see live off my list - I attended the U2 concert at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday July 2nd. Florence and The Machine opened up for them and I thought for a relatively unknown band, they were able to fill a football stadium with good tunes.  I would think it's pretty tough to open up for such an iconic band as U2.

FATM is slowly growing on me so we shall see if I end up purchasing any of the tunes in the future.

As far as U2 goes - it was absolutely fabulous as I expected. I did mention to a friend of mine that it actually wasn't the best concert that I've seen in my life but it's definitely up near the top. I'm just glad I was able to experience such an incredible band, in a great venue, on a perfect evening!

U2 fascinates me beyond just the music they create.....it's the fact that they started at 16 years of age and have stayed together for 35 years without any major bumps in the road.  I never heard of possible break ups/retirement (then of course the come back)/destroying hotel rooms/drug & alcohol issues/etc -- I'm not saying they haven't dealt with these ins and outs of rock n roll but it wasn't as publicized like many other artists of our time have been. Plus, it's nice to see a celebrity use the power and popularity that is gained in the music industry to focus on other important things in life through philanthropic causes, etc.

Ultimately, they are able to stay together and continue to create music that multiple generations can enjoy. Not a lot of artists can say the same....

One highlight of the evening you should read about here - Fan plays with U2

2 comments:

  1. I heard the fan playing with Bono was great!! A great story.
    RVN

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what was the best concert you've ever attended?

    We had an amazing time at the concert. I think it was the best I've ever seen, and I loved when they pulled the fan up on stage at the end. Off to read about it as I was curious as to who the guy was.

    ReplyDelete