Currently listening to:

Today's tune recommendation: Electric Wire Hustle

July 27, 2011

Cover me

This past weekend I spent both Friday & Saturday evening at Mercy Lounge. It was all about cover bands and classic tunes. 

On Friday, YATCH ROCK REVIEW performed. I have to say that this is one of my favorite cover bands. It's absolutely a blast to sing & dance along with the smooth rock of the 70s and 80s. This was my second time to see them in the past couple of months and I will be ready to rock whenever they return. The only problem this time was that apparently these guys have been discovered because it was a much bigger crowd this time around. Their fan base has grown quickly!

Check out the website HERE to get a little taste of some Yatch Rock and maybe even book them for your next event ;) There is a back story to this cover band which includes a 12 episode video series about the lives & careers of American soft rock stars.  I find it highly entertaining and suggest you watch them in order to appreciate Yatch Rock even more.
Here is one of my favorite episodes of the series, just to give you a taste - Yatch Rock, Episode 11  (warning - this does have some foul language)

Next up, I enjoyed The Who's Live at Leeds performed by THE ORIGINAL SHAZAM on Saturday night. This was another rockin' show that took me by surprise. I understand that it would be hard to cover such a legendary band as The Who but I felt they did a great job. It gave me a glimpse of what it might have been like to experience The Who back in the day. 

This is what I love about cover bands-- you can hear some of your favorite songs live that you might not have had the opportunity to experience otherwise. Cover bands may not get all the glory of an original band but they are much appreciated by a fan like me. 

Are there any particular cover bands that you love? What's the last show of covers that you went to?

No comments:

Post a Comment